Saturday, January 8, 2011

RECIPE ** OAT COOKIES* (Tried and Tested)

**RECIPE**

OAT COOKIES

As I mentioned before I am a fan of many things and one of them is BAKING. So this is my first recipe for you. A very easy tasty Oat Cookie Recipe and to top it off its eggless. This is one of my favourite cookie recipes because its so simple and easy and uses store cupboard ingredients

I have many vegetarian friends who don't eat eggs and its sometimes hard to find biscuits or muffins to cater to them. They love them just as much as the next person. So I baked these on our last Picnic in the Summer for my vege friends and they went down a treat.

I took this recipe from uktv.co.uk and have made a few minor adjustments in the many times I've made these. These cookies can be eaten once slightly cooled. They will be nice and crunchy. However I find for me they are best eaten a day or two after baking as they become slightly softer and more chewy (the texture I prefer). Excellent with Tea or Coffee or with Milk for children.

I like this recipe because it combines so few ingredients to make something very tasty. The tag line from the site is 'Mary Berry's mouth-watering crunchy oaty biscuits are quick and easy to make and terrifically moreish.'



**************************************************

INGREDIENTS
175g Self-Raising Flour
175g Granulated Sugar
175g Butter
75g+ Porridge Oats
1tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
1tsp Baking Powder
2tbsp Golden Syrup

PREP TIME: 15 minutes
COOK TIME: 12-15 minutes
MAKES: Approx 28 Cookies

METHOD

1. Preheat your oven to 180C/Gas Mark 4

2. Line two large baking sheets with baking parchment OR grease with Butter if parchment is not available.

3. Sift flour, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder into a mixing bowl, add sugar and oats in also and stir together.

TIP: I love the Oatey taste of these cookies so I generally add a greater quantity of Oats to the mix roughly 20-50g more you can be a little more heavy handed with them. For me this makes them taste that much better. I also use jumbo rolled oats because the oats are bigger and for me I prefer them this way. Ideally you could use any type of oats it will just change the texture of the cookie.

4. Put the butter into a pan and add the golden syrup, heat gently over a low heat stirring until the butter has melted and combined with syrup. Pour into the mixing bowl and stir until mixture has combined.

TIP: You can use your hands to combine the mixture if you feel it is not properly mixed but generally its okay with stirring.

TIP: I have used Maple Flavoured Golden Syrup with this recipe also or a little Maple Syrup with the Golden Syrup and this adds a wonderful hint of Maple to the recipe. It just depends on what you have in your store cupboard.
Again feel free to be a little heavy handed with the Syrup (not too much Maple though unless you like the flavour) as this just adds a little extra flavour. An extra tablespoon or tablespoon
and half is welcome.

TIP: Also, once I really wanted to bake these cookies and we didn't have any butter so I used margarine instead and chilled the mix in the fridge for 15-20mins as I was unsure of the effect it would have on the recipe. I got a more bulky cookie that didn't flatten out whilst baking so if you prefer a more chunky cookie rather than a flatter thinner cookie.

5. The recipe suggest that you turn the bowl out onto a work surface and and shape 28 2cm balls from the mixture.

TIP: I have found using a tablespoon to take a spoonful of the mixture out of the bowl and shape it with your hands works fine if you don't like getting work surfaces buttery (like my mother)




6. Arrange the balls on the baking trays so they are not too close to each other as they do spread a little bit. Press the top of the ball down with your palm to flatten a little.

7. Bake these cookies for 12-15minutes until golden brown. Remove from the oven using a fish slice, transfer to a cooling rack to cool and firm up.

TIP: These cookies will still be very soft to touch so do not try to move them straight away. Bring them out of the oven and leave to slightly cool for a couple of minutes - they will still be soft so using a flat fish slice transfer these cookies to a cooling rack or flat tray. As the cookies are still soft they will require a flat surface to cool on or they will cool to the shape of whatever you leave them on.


**************************************************



Once cool enjoy dipped in Tea or Coffee.

These cookies will keep for a week in airtight storage. With my family I find they last two days maximum as they love them! I do keep a few to one side for a day or two to allow them to become slightly 'stale' as they become more soft and chewy (as my younger brother prefers them) and are great with Milk for children.

I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do!

~ DayDreamQueen
xXx

Comments on layout and any changes you would prefer are appreciated. Is this too much information ... Would you prefer more pictures? Let me know :)

Original recipe taken from: http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/585410
TIPS and Alterations are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment